Over the past few months, in the dead of night, I have purchased the following…
- Three rugs. None of which fit in any room in my house
- A personalised ‘Santa Stop Here’ sign. For the dog
- Leopard print baby shoes
- Magnetic letters for our fridge
- A bikini. I gave birth four, yes FOUR months ago
- Eight different types of dummy
- Five different types of baby bottles
- Crochet needles. I had big plans to crochet, apparently
- MacBook Pro. on. a. whim
I’ve never been a particularly good sleeper but since having the baby, four months ago, my sleeping patterns have gone crazy, culminating every few weeks in what I call newmamasomnia.
Like any new parents, we’ve suffered from the normal sleep deprivation that comes with having a baby. They have no concept of day and night when they are tiny-wee.
But then the baby started to settle into a (kind of) routine and instead of crashing out (like I should do because I’m absolutely knackered) I find that some days, come 2am, I’m still wide awake.
I spend hours Googling stuff, scrolling through Instagram and buying stuff that we definitely don’t need. It was late night Googling that seems to kick things off. Questions about babies and parenting in general. Four months on, these moonlight Googling sessions continue…
- When should I wean my baby?
- What the fuck is baby-led weaning?
- How many poo’s should my baby be having at four months?
- How many hours should my baby be sleeping at four months?
- How many feeds should my breastfed baby be having at four months?
- How to get baby shit off a wool rug?
- How many weeks old is my baby at four months?
- How long does it take for alcohol to leave your system when breastfeeding? (I’ve googled this question about 1000 times since giving birth. FYI, the answer doesn’t change and I still haven’t really had a drink).
There is some good that has come out of these periods of insomnia. It’s one of the reasons I started this blog. My mind was working overtime and writing, for me, seems to be the best release. I get it all out of my system and then I can have a good nights sleep.
(P.S Netmum forums are the fucking devil when it comes to any of the above questions. Be kind to yourself and don’t do it.)